Sunday, May 19, 2013

Review: Take Me There by Susane Colasanti


Synopsis:
Rhiannon is devastated after the breakup with her boyfriend and wants him back. Nicole's ex is still pining for her, but she can't help having a new crush. And then there's James, hopelessly in love with Rhiannon, who can't see that their friendship could be so much more. Just when things couldn't get more complicated, the school's resident mean girl decides she is going to ruin everyone's lives. James, Nicole, and Rhiannon are not going to let this slide, but will their desire to take down the mean girl bring these three friends exactly what they want?


Review:
Reason for reading:
I have to read this for a school book club. Let's just say I have some benefits for reading it, that's why I didn't stop reading.

Cover Art:
Completely irrelevant to the story, except the fact that the setting is Eames Academy. It just doesn't connect with the overall plot-line.

Book Setup:
The alternate narrations of the trio of friends did not irritate me at first, but it finally got on my nerves nearing the book's conclusion. I wanted to know what is about to transpire, but the actions keep taking a back seat because Colasanti has to return to the same day and narrate the same exact events over again. With some extra information, of course, to give the reader an in-depth look at each character. However, I felt like it slowed down the plot and left me cranky and annoyed at the setup.

Plot:
Like I said, the setup/format of the book didn't really do it for me, although I appreciate getting a closer look at each character. But it interfered with the plot because of the cycle of the same events being narrated.

Originality:
The format has been done before. Story about taking revenge on a boyfriend/the skank who swiped him away have been used. Best friends-becoming-lovers also exist in the literary world. But there were interesting plot twists and turns that intrigued me. Not that original, but there were nice additions.

Credibility:
The dialogues express how teens communicate. I give her props for sounding like teenagers...for some parts. While other parts are strange, like when they say "yo" and "word?". Do girls really say "yo" and do you say "really?" by saying "word?"?

Overall:It was a Goodreads, I have to say. Would I recommend it? Well, if you enjoy alternate narrations that feed you the same events 3 times! Hey, if I can bear that, you can to.


3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment