Sunday, May 19, 2013

Review: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins



Synopsis:
Young Katniss Everdeen has survived the dreaded Hunger Games not once, but twice, but even now she can find no relief. In fact, the dangers seem to be escalating: President Snow has declared an all-out war on Katniss, her family, her friends, and all the oppressed people of District 12. The thrill-packed final installment of Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy will keep young hearts pounding.


Review:
Let me start by saying that this is my first completion of a trilogy! So, congrats to me for that. I've started other series like the Uglies series and the Harry Potter series, but couldn't find time to go back to it. Maybe I'm not too interested? I don't know.

Let's get to the book. For me, the military aspects of this book drove me insane sometimes. I couldn't take so much war things in a teen book. There was tremendous amount of focus on war strategies and plans in this book. I know what I was getting into for , but it tired me a little. I found myself wanting to read quickly through the book when Suzanne Collins linger on all those war-related topics. Maybe I'm one who like drama without a full serving of politics.

The ways in which Collins took her main characters were unpredictable but unrealistic. I felt like she got lost with the protagonists. It's as if Katniss' confusion on who to choose between Peeta and Gale confirmed my doubt. Katniss just never could make up her mind, kissing both guys like it's "okay." Which is not, because if you actually like them, you wouldn't play with both their feelings. At least Bella Swan told Jacob Black off that she loved Edward in the "Twilight" books. Like come on. Peeta was made very decapitated in this book. Actually, he was portrayed as weak in ALL three books! It's like Collins wanted to make him a weakling against the strong-headed Katniss, which doesn't mean I don't like her (I love her character, actually), it just makes me furious how fragile she made him. Perhaps she could have gone a different path for him.

The rising action and the climax at the end of the novel was very abrupt and confusing. I think she could have slow it down, because I kept missing crucial information! Like seriously, is she trying to make me be a better reader or something? Like recognize stuff? (Well, maybe that's a good lesson, but that's beside the point. ) I just felt like she wanted to trick me in a way. I should reread those parts.

*SPOILER*  *MAJOR DEATH*  *DON'T READ IF YOU LIKE THIS CHARACTER*
One death was really unnecessary. That one of Finnick. He was such a kind-hearted, lovable character underneath all that beauty that was so misconceived by Katniss. Like I was honestly flabbergasted by his demise!

The Ending or the Big, Perfectly-Knotted Bow of a Conclusion: I liked the happy ending, sorta. Predictably, these two would find their way to forever and each other. I wanted the ending for the one whose heart Katniss rejected to be tied up better. It was a bit crooked for me to be satified. The overall conclusion offered hope for the readers. I, for one, felt this hope for the country of Panem. Its future looked gleaming, and was that of Katniss and her love. A perfect conclusion to an astounding, adrenaline-inducing, dystopian trilogy of our time. (See how I didn't tell you who Katniss chose? You're welcome.)


4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment